Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Messy children.

5 hours. 
3 children. 
2 lessons. 

The sun was shinning, the wind calm, and three children ready to sink their toes into the summer grass. We naturally, forgot our shoes, sunscreen, and ice water, for the excitement in each of their hearts exceeded our logic. Before we know it, the neighbor has his small motorized plan sailing in the blue summer sky. The 1 year old squeals with excitement, raises her arms to me, and explains, "up!" I pick her up as she points to the airplane. All three children and I quicken our pace as we follow the neighbor to the open field. He flies the plane back and forth over head. At each pass, the 1 year old in my arms shouts, points, and screams, "aeworpwane!" I began to count the number of times the airplane passes, gauging her excitement. To my amazement, her level of excitement never changed. It was as if she had never experienced the sound or sight of such an object. Mesmerized by its ability to cut through the skies, her focus, attention, and excitement never changed. 

Oh how life should be lived. With excitement, focus, and passion for each moment. Even in the moments I have already experienced and seen, how can I still live in that moment with passion and joy? With each passing "airplane" may my focus, attention, and passion be true. 

After the plane settled on the ground, the joyful, livable one year old decided her stomach now needed attention. Three handfuls of grapes and a half banana later, she was content. We sat, facing the bright, warm sun as she finished. The next moment, she was up and ready to hit the back patio step ascending into the second level of the house. Her little hand reach out for mine, left over grapes, dirt, grass, and banana and all. I instantly took her hand into mine with no thought to the mess that occupied it. The care for her safety and the joy to hold such a precious hand overtook any mess her little hands could hold. Two minutes later, a clear wash cloth, and water refreshed both our hands. 

Immediately, I realized I had been reminded of the gospel, the love, and price my Savior paid for freedom, grace, and new life. No matter my past, my wrongs, my sin, my ugly, the mess on my hands...Christ reached and held my hand with no second thought to my mess. You see, He cares for me. He cares for my heart, its safety, and the joy of guiding my hand. He has the time, the clean cloth, and water to wash away the mess as if it was never there. 

1. Live with excitement for each moment. 
2. You are made clean. Never to far out of reach. Never to messy. 

Lessons from a child. 

1 comment:

  1. I love you and love the way you embace life and are always willing to live in the moment, enjoy the lil things and open to learn.

    ReplyDelete