Sunday, April 21, 2013

Funnel or Foundation.

Funnel. - An object used to direct liquid or small particles through a large opening into a smaller space and remain empty. 

Foundation. - The lowest load-bearing part of a building, a ground on which other parts rest with provisions for future maintenance. The basis on which a thing stands, is founded, is supported. 

Over the last several days, I have been reflecting on the implications of these two simple words. How they effect me professionally, academically, and spiritually.

Professionally and academically, a funnel can be of use to pour into others through passing along resources and transmitting information. It can be used build up, equip, and engage. 

Spiritually, a funnel can have similar implications; however, it leaves you empty, drained, lonely if not used appropriately. You see, there is such beauty in passing wisdom, knowledge, and truth. You find purpose, direction, and responsibility in these actions. 

Yet, there is also another side to funnels. 

A side, I find my flesh failing. A void I know my flesh desires to fill. Sadly, when filling my life with the applications of a funnel leave me empty. drained. lonely. No matter how much I try to fill myself up with the desires of my flesh, it empties. So why live in this way? 

Foundations take work. a plan. dedication. faithfulness. All characteristics that take strength and try our weaknesses. You see, when you build a foundation you are supported, founded, and remain strong. Even though I am tempted to use a funnel approach, I have been so encouraged by those who have taught me the importance of a foundation. 

May you build.

Build a foundation which can withstand the storms, the temptations, and the testings of life. May you know the impact your foundation will make to those who see your building process. Never settle for a funnel of a life. God created more. He created you to live life and live it to the FULL. 

Funnel or Foundation? 


No comments:

Post a Comment