Thursday, July 5, 2012

A lesson from my fear.

A few weeks ago a few high school girls, a leader, and I ventured out on an eight mile hike.
This hike took us up and down, around beautiful trees, through creeks, and meadows.
A most beautiful sunny day.
We all shared parts of our lives, the happy times, sad memories, and even scary moments.
The fun began when one girl let out a scream due to her fear of spiders. Of course, we all had our laugh and continued on our way. Not knowing I too would pay for this laugh and be challenged.

As the hike went on I found myself deep in coversation with one of the youth. Just as I was forming a response a snake came slithering through the trail right infront of me! I danced, jumped, and sucked in all the air my lungs could contain. The girl beside me jolted and we then both looked at each other, laughing. While I continued to do a little dance thinking it would help calm every nerve ending in my body to rest.

You see, I am giving you a secret. A secret which contains the fact that I am terrified of snakes. The way they move, the look in their eyes, and the symbolism of satan they contain. After my heart rate slowed to normal, my mind began to race with thoughts about the Garden of Eden, satan, and snakes. What can I learn from the Garden, what do I need to know about my enemy, and how does a snake teach me a lesson on their characteristics?

Satan. A word that arouses so many emotions and feelings. In the garden, satan built a wall between humanity and God. A wall we define as sin. Just as God's heart is for us (John 3:16), satan heart is against us (I Peter 5:8). God's heart is to save us! While satan heart lies within sin, that which seperates us for Christ. Satan is cunning (Gen. 3:11 and 2 Cor. 2:11, 11:3, 11:14). He is wicked with no moral principles, no code of honor, and no higher feeling. He is a deceiver of our minds, lies, and makes us ignorant of God's will ( Acts 22:14, Eph. 5:17). He seeks to destroy our lives; yet fool us into beleving we are living freely.

Today, I was reading about the bit of venomous snakes. It only takes one bite containing very small amounts of venom to cause life to cease for the victim. Even if the victim goes uncared for even a few hours they can die. These victims sometimes don't think the bite is that bad or doesn't notice the severity.  While others seek medical help and find the antidote and live. Like snakes, satan bites and his venom is life threating. He attacks us at the very weakest point..our flesh. Our flesh longs for the world and what it gives (Romans 8:2-4 and Galations 5:17). Therefore, our flesh is the gateway satan uses. From there his venom spreads until one suffers spiritual death.

Yet, at the strongest point, our spirit, Christ enters. The antidote. Like many I get bit. I am deceived and many times have let my heart become ignorant of God's will. By God's mercy and grace I am made aware of the bites of Satan. At this point, I have the choice to receive help or become prideful. My heart truly breaks as I see in my own life Satan's working and in my friends, family, and neighbour's lives.

May we seek with ALL that is within us who Christ is and how he gives us life! And gives it to the Full. Do you know your enemy who wars against your soul? Do you know others who need an antidote for their bites? May we go to war in our prayers for them!






1 comment:

  1. Amen!
    I needed to read this. It's a battlefield brother, not a recreation room. It's a fight and not a game.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Love you always,
    Aunt Sharon

    ReplyDelete