Acts 2:42, "They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to breaking of bread and to prayer."
They devoted. When I read this verse the first two words pierced my heart. They devoted. They were comitted, zealous and desired something more than what their hearts currently pocessed. So then they devoted. What do we desire with this type of devotion? What hunger do we have which compels us to be devoted?
Why do we eat? We are hungry. We Need energy to function. Seems simple and straighforward right? The reality is that hunger is influenced by biological, psychological, cultural, and social factors. Several occurrences working together to make one hungry. So then we eat. We eat what sounds good, taste good, and satisifies the hunger. We then become full. Later, we hunger again and the process begins again.
I began to realize the hunger process is similar to my devotion to Christ. There are moments I hunger for Christ, while other moments I have no hunger. These moments are characterized by what I am choosing to eat. When I hunger for Christ I am empty of my desires of the flesh and ready to be filled with God's Holy Spirit. When I am filled with God it fills the void (Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." Matthew 5:6)! One the other hand, when I become full of this world, trying to fill myself up with what I think will satisfy I am left empty and wanting more. Therefore, my mind is tricked into believing I am full and the the hunger for God is quenched.
What are we doing to fill our hunger?
I hunger for His presence to be first in my life. Great blog and food for thought.
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Aunt Sharon